Wesley Road Chapel came into being in 1987 following
the merger of three local churches.
Armley Central Methodist Church, Wesley Rd,
Armley URC Church, Hall Lane
and Zion Baptist Church, Hall Rd
The tradition here is individual in that the three denominational
churches each have contributed towards today’s resulting Christian
community in Armley. We are called a Local Ecumenical Partnership and
work closely with the other churches in this area.
The present Wesley Road Chapel opened in 1987 but worship on the site
goes back to 1784 with the building of the Methodist Wesleyan Chapel, in
which the founder of Methodism, John Wesley, preached.
A spiritual revival increased the size of the congregation leading to
the building of a larger chapel which opened on Easter Monday in
1813. In October of the same year the inaugural sermon for the Wesleyan
Missionary Society was preached in Wesley Road. The third chapel was
opened in September 1907. This faced on to Wesley Road whereas entry to
the previous buildings was from The Gang.
In the middle of the 20th century the decreasing
population in Armley left small congregations struggling to cope with
the large, if beautiful, sanctuary so the decision was taken to
downsize. The Baptists in Armley joined the scheme and with the sale of
their premises and part of the Wesley Road site (for housing), we were
able to build a new comfortable, easy to maintain and attractive set of
premises. In January 1989 the Armley United Reform Church joined us, so
we are now a Local Ecumenical Partnership embracing three denominations
and enriched by each other’s long traditions and histories.
We can look back on our time together with thankfulness and joy. We
have been blessed with professional ministry from all three
denominations. We have received many folk into membership. Our baptismal
pool has been used on three inspiring occasions. We have tried new
ventures, seeking to serve the local community, and there is a buzz
about the place and a friendly atmosphere which many visitors have
Our worship is warm and meaningful and our intention is to continue
to ”Serve the Present Age” as the plaque in our porch proclaims. Whilst
we praise God for all that is past we also thank Him for all that’s to
Circuit office is now situated in the chapel and we have now created a
Resource centre upstairs that has a theological library for ministers,
preachers in training and anyone who wants to read or borrow any books
on religious subjects. The room is also available to hire for
conferences or meetings with access to free wifi.